How to prepare for Commencement
2013-14 Commencement Timeline
- Verify the time and location (including inclement weather location) for your college or school ceremony
- Pick up cap and gown from the Ole Miss Bookstore on Wednesday, May 7 through Friday, May 9, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. (Union Ballroom) or Saturday, May 10, 8-9 a.m. (Union Ballroom)
- All monetary type holds should be cleared before you leave
- Diplomas will not be mailed if you have a Bursar, Financial Aid or Library hold
- May 10 – Commencement Day. Congratulations!
- If you expect to graduate with honors, find out when and where your college or school will be distributing honors cords
- Pick up your 2014 Ole Miss yearbook from the Student Union lobby during the week of April 21-25 anytime between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. They are free!
- Attend Grad Fair in the Student Union Lobby on March 18-20
The Grad Fair will provide you with materials and information you will need prior to graduation. You will be able to order your cap, gown and tassel. Representatives from the university’s Registrar Office, Office of Financial Aid, Career Center, Alumni Association, Ole Miss Bookstore and University and Public Events will be on site to answer any questions you may have.
- Refer to the Grad Fair section of the Commencement website if you need any of the information as a reference
- Check Commencement website for new information, and direct your family to the website
- If you have not received notification about your May 2014 or August 2014 approval for graduation, contact your adviser or your college or school’s Dean’s Office immediately
- Feb. 21 – Last day to submit application for May and August diplomas
- Speak to your adviser to make sure you are on track with requirements
- Begin making hotel reservations for family and guests who plan to attend graduation
- Over break, start notifying family members about graduation so that they will have an adequate amount of time to book flights and hotel reservations.
October – November:
- Speak to your adviser about any remaining credits you need to complete
- Apply to graduate by December. You may locate your Intent to Graduate form through your respective school’s website or through your academic adviser
- Once you have applied, a complete degree evaluation will be processed by your major department to determine if you are on track to graduate
- Seek academic advising for the spring semester
- Register for the courses needed to complete your degree during spring registration for class
“The University is respected, but Ole Miss is loved. The University gives a diploma and regretfully terminates tenure, but one never graduates from Ole Miss.” – Frank E. Everett, Jr.