How to prepare for Commencement
2015-16 Commencement Timeline
This serves as a guide and a checklist to make sure all of the proper steps are taken so that you are prepared for the May 14th Commencement ceremony.
- Speak to your adviser about any remaining credits you need to complete
- Apply to graduate by December. You may locate your Intent to Graduate form through your respective school’s website or through your academic adviser
- Once you have applied, a complete degree evaluation will be processed by your major department to determine if you are on track to graduate
- Seek academic advising for the spring semester
- Register for the courses needed to complete your degree during spring registration for class
- Review the commencement website
- During winter break, start notifying family members about graduation so that they will have an adequate amount of time to book flights and hotel reservations.
- Speak to your adviser to make sure you are on track with requirements
- Begin making hotel reservations for family and guests who plan to attend graduation
- Check Commencement website for new information, and direct your family to the website
- If you have not received notification about your May 2016 or August 2016 approval for graduation, contact your adviser or your college or school’s Dean’s Office immediately
- Feb. 21 – Last day to submit application for May and August diplomas
- Attend Grad Fair in the Student Union Lobby
- The Grad Fair will provide you with materials and information you will need prior to graduation. You will be able to order your cap, gown and tassel. Representatives from the university’s Registrar Office, Office of Financial Aid, Career Center, Alumni Association, Ole Miss Bookstore and University and Public Events will be on site to answer any questions you may have.
- Refer to the Grad Fair section of the Commencement website if you need any of the information as a reference
- To order class rings, invitations and diploma frames, visit www.herffjones.com/college
- For commencement photographer
- If you expect to graduate with Latin honors, find out when and where your college or school will be distributing honors cords
- Pick up your 2015 Ole Miss yearbook from the Student Union lobby. They are free!
- Verify the time and location (including inclement weather location) for your college or school ceremony
- Pick up cap and gown from the Union Ballroom
- All monetary type holds should be cleared before you leave
- Diplomas will not be mailed if you have a Bursar, Financial Aid or Library hold
- Take a look at the 2015 Commencement Ceremony Information Guide
- May 14 – Commencement Day. Congratulations and Hotty Toddy!
- Gowns should be returned at the conclusion of your college/school ceremony. Instructions will be given at the ceremony.